Frequently Asked Questions
- What is TheOneFile?
- Where is my data
- Will I get charged for storage if I exceed a certain amount?
- What can I
put into TheOneFile?
What about information I may want to share with others?
- Who else has
access to my data?
I don't want to put my sensitive information in the "cloud".
How do I designate others I want to see parts of my information?
Are there any limits on making changes to my information?
much information can I store in TheOneFile?
I already have a safe deposit box or home safe. Why do I
What if I forget my TheOneFile password?
Can I access my account from any Internet connection?
Which Internet browsers are supported?
How do I get my paper documents into my TheOneFile account?
How about uploading electronic documents on my computer?
is the LIFE EVENTS tab used for?
can I get my questions answered?
- How secure is
How can I be sure that my data will be there when I need to
controls in place to safeguard my data?
Doesn't uploading executable files pose a security risk?
Can authorized individuals gain access to my information?
- TheOneFile is an online personal file storage system that
enables subscribers to securely organize, store, and retrieve
the information, instructions, and files (documents, images,
audio and video) that are needed throughout life. Getting your
affairs in order has never been easier. We provide you with 123
category “folders” to make it easy to arrange your personal
information. In each folder you can enter free-form information
and upload/download files of any type, including programs.
- Our primary datacenter is located in Richardson, Texas, a
state-of-the-art optimum security datacenter in terms of systems
redundancy, uptime, and availability. Backup datacenters are
located in Phoenix, London and Amsterdam. Each of the
datacenters’ location was precisely selected and purpose-built
to go above and beyond compliance requirements to achieve the
highest security standards in the world. Strategically, our
sites are geographically redundant; each datacenter has multiple
power sources, the most advanced conditioning and backup
systems, and sits comfortably atop the best Internet peers.
- Your membership in TheOneFile includes Unlimited
Storage - No Hidden Fees.
Perhaps a better question to ask would be, "What can't
you put into TheOneFile?" We invite you to consider
TheOneFile your safest and most secure place to store:
- "informal" arrangements
- personal preferences and instructions
- ancestry information
- audio messages
- birth and marriage documents
- business affairs / agreements
- estate plans / preferences
- family details / secrets
- final arrangements
- financial statements
- health information
- key contacts
- legal documents
- loans and commitments
- location of important information / documents (e.g.
stock certificates, wills, warranties)
- medical and insurance benefits / policies
- other important files / information
- descriptions of personal property and receipts
- photos, videos, and keepstakes
- professional activities
- retirement plans
- special online id's and passwords
- care instructions for your property
- guardianship arrangements
- wills, warranties, and much, much more
In short, if it's important to you, TheOneFile provides a
safe, secure place to keep it.
- You may want to set aside information in certain folders to
share with specific people. For example, you might
want to "tag" information about your financial affairs to set
aside for your CPA. TheOneFile lets you
"tag" and later share selected
information in specific folders with others that you specifically
These individuals, however, DO NOT have the
ability to access your data directly. (They only get
access to a copy of your data).
- TheOneFile provides you this ability using our "Designated party" technology.
You control who to provide your information to and how long you
want to do
it. You can also create a "Preferences book" for
any "Designated Party" you have established. This can be a
hardcopy booklet, or in electronic form. You decide the
conditions under which you would send this "read-only" document
You are always able to add or delete people on
Party list at any time, and wjhen you make changes to your list, the tagging of data you wish to
provide to others is automatically updated.
- Nobody. Not even our support personnel can view your
data. In the event of incapacitation or death, access to
your account will be made available to your designated legal
representative once we have received appropriate legal
documentary proof / releases.
Then you don't need to.
Although we provide "fill in the blanks" fields for storing
information like Social Security numbers, and Account
numbers, ALL of these fields are OPTIONAL. (Only fill
them in if you want to.)
There is only one
REQUIRED field in each data input form - this is
indicated by a red asterisk
- Could not be easier! You add them to the "Designated Party"
list (under Administration menu), and as you are adding or updating
information in your folders, simply "tag" the information indicating you
want one or more of your designated parties to be privy to.
- None whatsoever! Your data is available 24 hours a day, 365
days a year. Our online system availability goal is 99.9%
(periodic system maintenance is required).
- Besides the "fill-in-the-blanks" fields we provide, you can upload
any number of individual files (up to 2 Gb each). There is
virtually no limit to the amount of information you can store in
TheOneFile. The standard pricing includes unlimited document /
You may want to ask yourself:
- "Is your safe deposit box easily accessible 24x7, 365 days a
- "If you are away from home, can you access your home safe?"
- What would happen to your important documents if you were
robbed, experienced a fire, or natural disaster?"
Many tell us that the greatest benefit is the easy-to-find
organization of TheOneFile that lets them locate and access their important
information and documents more quickly than they could any other way.
- At the time of account creation, subscribers are asked to select a
"Challenge Question" in addition to the normal account credentials
(password). This question is one you pick from a list of questions
and one that is unique and meaningful to you. Then, you provide
the unique answer (and password hint) to the question you have created.
The Password retrieval utility ("Forgot Password?") link prompts the
subscriber for the correct response to this question.
- We have tested and continue to regularly test the application with
the most recent and prior versions of Internet ExplorerTM
and above; Mozilla FirefoxTM,
and Apple's SafariTM.
Users are expected to keep their browser software up to date with the
latest versions which contain the latest security features.
- You have several options available. You can convert paper
documents into an electronic file on your computer using a scanner, a
digital camera, or digital images captured on tablet computers or most
models of mobile phones. Additionally, you can utilize the
services of a local office supply retailer, business, or copy shop which
can do this for you. If you have a PC with fax capability, you can
fax a copy of a document you want to save to your PC and save the
received faxed document. Remember, though, the fax image quality may not
be as good as a scanner.
- Absolutely! There are no restrictions on the type of file you
can upload to TheOneFile. You can upload any type of file, even
program "executables" (.exe) safely.
- The Life Events tab is intended to provide a place where the list of
events that are important for us to remember are recorded in one place.
It gives you a place to record a specific event and date.
We have several ways to assist you:
- A complete online HELP system that you can access any time from a
HELP link or by gong to http://help.TheOneFile.com
- Submitting a question or report an issue through the "Report a
Problem" links provided.
- By email: Support@TheOneFile.com (allow up to 24 hours for a response)
- TheOneFile employs several layers of security and encryption to
protect your data. To ensure your data is safe, each of your online
sessions is encrypted, as is all of your data that is stored on our
servers. We use AES 256 bit encryption, the same level of protection
the U.S. government uses to protect classified "Top Secret"
information. TheOneFile is encrypted and securely managed 24x7 in one
of the most secure datacenters in North America.
Our datacenter was built to the highest industry standards for "cloud
computing" and includes:
- the ability to scale to over 7,500 secure cloud servers,
- distribution voltage metering,
- high-efficiency UPS's and power distribution,
- seven 2,000 kilowatt Caterpillar Diesel Generators with a minimum of
48 hours of fuel on hand,
- a fully redundant 3,000 ton chilled water plant,
- a HSSD/Laser Detection throughout (an air sampling system that is
2,000 times more sensitive than conventional smoke detectors),
- interlocked pre-action dry pipe sprinklers, and
- high efficiency computer room air handlers.
In addition to the multiple layers of software and network security we
employ, our datacenter has multi-level physical security safeguards in place
to prevent unauthorized access to our facility:
- Physical Barriers (fences, guards, alarms, locks), and restricted
access technologies (biometrics, coded entry, access badges),
- Structural Barriers (door controls, window controls, ceiling
penetration, ventilation ducts, elevator penthouses),
- Environmental Barriers (defined perimeters, positive controls, alert
threat, segment protection zones).
All network equipment and servers in the computer center are fully
enclosed in thick wire mesh, continually monitored by HD motion cameras and
access restricted by security badge readers and IRIS (eye scanning)
- Yes. The safeguards employed by our datacenter facilities are
re-certified annually by independent security auditors against the
international standard SSAE 16.
- No. There is no way for your stored files to be executed on
our servers. This is a benefit for software developers or others
who want to store copies of important programs. Unlike some of the
file storage sites, you cannot click on a stored file and have it
automatically "launch". We only enable users to upload, download,
or delete stored files to eliminate the potential of your data being
- We have taken every reasonable approach possible to ensure that your
data is never seen by unauthorized users. Our hardware firewalls and
enterprise-level web application firewall actively protects TheOneFile
website and database from sophisticated hacker attacks. All suspicious
access activity is monitored 24 x 7, unauthorized access attempts are
blocked, and all access activity is tracked and recorded. We employ
round-the-clock network and application surveillance that is
specifically designed to block hacker attempts. Additionally, we provide
you (In the Online HELP) with password guidance so you can create highly
secure passwords. Having a strong password, and making sure you never
give it to others, is one of the best safeguards you can have.